Wednesday, October 18, 2006

a trip for the taste buds

There is a little town in Italy called Perugia.
Once a year alot of people come to this city.
Why? you may ask,
Is it for the ancient city?
For the wonderful art?
A little history lesson?

Nope.
They come for chocolate.
Plain and simple.



Milk, semi-sweet, dark and extra dark.
It all comes out for one week in October.
Its the European Chocolate Festival.

Yummy.

Ryan and Lea Anne love chocolate.
They decided that the chocolate festival goes on the pro/con list of re-stinting.



And it gets better.
They give out free stuff.

One more time....

FREE samples!

chocolate, coca-cola light, nestea, barbies...
They had it all.

Regina sweet talked our way inside the gigantic Baci house.



And this was our reward!



Then we met the bouncer at the Lindt exhibit.
His name was David.
And apparently he is sweet like candy.



After he let us in, we got to sample all kinds of chocolate.

And I met a cute server-boy.
I asked to take his picture, and he gave me extra candy.
Its like trick-or-treat for adults!



Here's the team as we savor the rewards and add to the candy headaches.



My favorite thing I ate all day was a chocolate and whip cream pastry!
Whip cream is hard to find over here--so I was thrilled.
As I sunk my teeth into this luxurious "i'd beat a donut blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back" pastry, I was pretty happy.




Perugia, thank you for being a lovely host.
Europe, thank you for being so cool as to have a chocolate festival.

Cheers to you and to all that free stuff!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the rough life of a missionary!!!

113 Sleepy Hollow demands souvenirs!!

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, admit it. Agape Italia is shooting a pilot for a new series on Food TV.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a SWEET story. When you send samples for Sleepy Hollow, don't forget one small piece for Doubletree (remember... Starbursts).

10:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

i'm just not sure how the chocolates will travel. but don't worry, i will repay the starbursts some day....

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww!!! What a wonderful, "rough" life we live. Thanks for depicting it so well Sarah! Let's go back next year, shall we?

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a cute little Italian!
That pastry looks so good!
I miss you! In the pastry picture it almost looks as if I could reach out and touch you-

Love you!

La

1:03 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Sarah! How come I didn't know about this blog?!?!?!?

I feel hurt...

but on the other hand, VERY excited!

Can't wait to see ya'll next week!

and....did Bearden just say she was going with you NEXT YEAR?!?!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

so sorry Kat.
i will inform you of all my secrets when you come to Florence.
and yes, i heard a definite "next year" from Bearden.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that would be funny if people did just go to that town annually for a little history lesson. I like that.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummy. italy needs to spread some of that chocolate lovin!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Sarah,

I realize this comment is coming a little late,but here it is nonetheless. You have helped me to discover a food that we have not yet feted here in Louisiana - chocolate! You have given me a wonderful idea - chocolate crawfish, crabs and shrimp; chocolate Mardi Gras beads and doubloons; chocolate tabasco peppers. Oh, the possibilities are endless! Grazie, bella, for the inspiration.

Bunkmate's Mom

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home