Monday, October 09, 2006

Got a light?




Ministry in a foreign country is an interesting mix of emotions.
As a human, I want to blend in and be liked and be cool.
Italians are the epitome of cool.
They are trendy, European people who wear sunglasses even in the dark.
I have met some students who are very nice and friendly.
But on the outside, they are super intimidating.
When I walk on campus, I immediately feel out of place.

I am blonde.
I am unnecessarily tall.
I don't speak Italian.
I don't smoke.

Now, those of you who know me well, remember the days I tried to change the first fact.
Brunette was not a good look for me.
We won't go back there.

I have tried countless times to shrink.
But alas, I have come to embrace all five feet, eleven inches of me.

I am working on the Italian thing.
I think I am getting somewhere.
I feel like a total idiot, but people tell me that's a good thing.

So onto the last item.
Now don't freak out.
I'm not going to start smoking.
Although the thought has crossed my mind.
Ministry would be so easy.
Smoke break=conversation.

Anybody remember that Friends episode?
Rachel did it.
She started smoking to be included.
Her smoking kick didn't last long though.
Plus, she coughed all the time.
Not cool.
I would doubly stand out if I coughed all the time.

So here's my solution.
I think I might carry a lighter with me.
Italians are always asking each other, and total strangers, for a light.
Granted, I don't want to encourage thier habit.
But believe me, there is no use in trying to discourage it.
Its a way of life here.

So I will be there for them in their time of need.
Tall, blonde, American lighter-girl.
That's how I'll be known.

I'm gonna start working on how I can transition from,
"Got a light?" to "Jesus is the light."

Culturally relevant ministry.
Brilliant.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I think it is a great idea. Let me know how that transition goes about the light.

Love you.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lighter is an excellent idea. I suggest a big Zippo like the one in your photo. Either that or those strike anywhere matches that you can light on the sole of your cowboy boot like Clint Eastwood. I mean if you're going to make an impression, make a BIG impression. And if you want to be the eptiome of cool, know how to spell it ;-)

7:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for the encouragement and the spell check. Matches would be hilarious.
Great idea.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to assume that you've corrected your spelling error, because I just read your post, and there were none.

Agreed, good idea with the lighter. I have some Planet Hollywood matches you could use... they're from Washington D.C.!

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

xlJust remember how much you disliked lighting those candles at the cheerleading ceremonies. Maybe use one of those long butane lighters...it would be safer:) Great blog as always.

Love you

5:14 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

ok... i laughed super hard on this one---- favorite part being "lighter girl"... then i cracked up at your dad's comment. he's pretty funny. i love you sarah and hope you meet lots of new fun smoking friends! suggestion: whichever lighter you choose, practice using it before you stick it near an italian face!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah ~ I laughed outloud mainly in 2 places:

1. Lighting the match on the sole of the cowboy boot. (good idea Mr. V) I admit I got a funny mental image of seeing you do that. I think it's because I imagined the match to be one of those really long ones. On a side note, I'm guessing they don't even wear cowboy boots over there(?).

2. "Want a light?" --> "Jesus is the light"

I love it. I'm going to call you soon.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Hendrick Family said...

I love this!

I agree with your mom...I think you should carry a click and flick or what ever those long metal things are called.

Now...what are we going to do about how stinky you're going to get?

Maybe you should carry a click and flick and Febreeze in your purse.

That will do it.

2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha...I love the lighter idea. You are by far the coolest person I know. I hope that you have many deep discussions thanks to the lighter. Love you

4:16 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

dude, we're pondering that down here too!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home