Thursday, August 10, 2006

Packing a clothing-addict...




Will it all fit? My closet that is. And my dresser. And those rubber-maid things under my bed. Oh, and my bookshelf.

How in the world am I going to carry it all? Two massive, "supposed-to-be-used-for-hard-core-stuff" duffel bags, and a ginormous suitcase. Will the weight of my junk crush me? Can I hire a bag-carrier-man?

I have often struggled with my love for fashion. The Lord tells us not to be of the world, just in it. So since He made creativity and style, and put those genes in me, can I love clothes while I am IN the world? The issues my brain must tackle.....

Maybe sending me to a foreign country for a year is the Lord's way of saying, "C'mon kid, you don't need all that. You can be creative and cute without all those skirts. Simplify. Be more J crew than Urban outfitters for a year." The Lord knows me really well. He understand my obsession with accessories.

And with books. Hey, He made me a reader. I was little miss book-worm at a very young age. I devoured everything from the cereal box to Babysitter's club. So He knows. How does that translate into living somewhere that writes in a different language that I do not comprehend (as of yet)? What qualifies as Must Haves and what gets tossed aside in the I Love You, But Have To Leave You category?

These are my musings a month out from my arrivederci to the US. My life is one of stuff. I'm not always proud of it, but I come with baggage. And this time its literal.

sv

bonus points for those who caught the "translate" pun earlier.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i do know those clothes oh so well! once again your closet will become my closet...my how this is becoming a pattern. my vote is that there is no way that you can fit all of your clothes into those three bags--not that i think you have too many clothes, b/c you dont (i mean we did PERFECTLY split our small closet space!)--but i just think it will be a task. however, any clothes you decide to leave will be greatly welcomed onto my body during your year of absence from the US of A. I'll be gentle with them, though--I won't dry your stuff like you like it! So, you do what you need to do and I'll take care of the rest!!!

love you.

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks claire. i knew i could count on you. and hey, that really is a picture of my closet. do you recognize anything? i think you know my clothes better than i do.

6:29 AM  
Blogger D.O. said...

funny that we both posted semi-similar posts both we that funny.

(get it?)

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you crazy dee oh.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Hendrick Family said...

No. I don't think that's all going to fit in your suit case. But, I know where it WOULD fit. In my closet.

Just offering.

Sorry Cwaire.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Oh my sweet sarah... I am so thankful for your taste and how you lovingly impart fashion wisdom to the rest of us-- even my little Elizabeth is going to be stylish because of your gift of the gouchos! As you have to leave many of your fun things here, just remember those wonderful markets in Italy and all of the NEW fun things you will get to add to your wardrobe! And yes, I think God understands to a certain extent-- you are who He created you to be! Love you- ang

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home