Thursday, September 14, 2006

My New Home

Sorry for the delay in the “I arrived” post, but when you’re in another country you’re not always in charge of your own schedule.

For starters, praise the Lord (and thank you for your prayers) that my team and I got here safely and with very little hassle. I navigated the Frankfurt airport like a pro and managed to get my way through customs with only minor trouble. FYI: if the German government comes looking for me, I’m only here for three months. All my bags made it, so me and my stuff were joyfully reunited. I feel bad for the poor guys who had to lift it everywhere, and my Florentine cab driver wasn’t super excited about it, but to me my luggage and what it contained lets me feel at home.




My apartment is super cute, and super tiny. Here’s a picture of me and Katie’s room. I got to rearrange furniture right when I got here, which oddly enough, happens to be one of my favorite activities—so I was jet-lagged, but pleased.




We hit the ground running after we unpacked, and had a team dinner that night.
The next day we ventured out to get sim cards and cell phones, which took a mere 3 hours. Notice how happy I am to have the errand done:




After that adventure, we defrosted out freezer in our little dorm-sized refrigerator. I thought this would be a good picture to introduce you to my new roommates. They are very handy with a knife and boiling water.




My team leader and his family arrive tomorrow and ministry and language classes will commence next week. I am anxious to get started doing ministry, because right now I feel mostly like a mute, tired American. I don’t speak much during the days because I lack the skill and when I do speak they pretend to not understand me. It’s a frustrating game they play—but I will master it!

-----shorter blogs to come, I just had to get it all out.


Thanks for your prayers!

5 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

HOW FUN!!!! i love seeing your new home. :) on the language thing... i understand... it's pretty annoying to not be able to really talk to people. you'll get it. hopefully i will too. sarah.... guess what?!?!?! i got the package! thank you so so so so much. you knew just what i needed and wanted. i'm wearing the green earrings as i type. they're super fun. the secretary told me i had a little something in the office and i screamed.... thanks so much! it was good to get your e-mail too.... i'll be praying for that stuff and more! love you.

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sounds like you've already mastered the game which you described... now you just have to get good at the other game where people understand you when you speak, you understand them, and conversations commence. I actually think that game is less fun sometimes, but hey, do what you gotta do.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are safe! I am almost moved into your room, but don't worry, I don't have too much stuff, so it doesn't even look like anyone else lives there! I miss you already...this house is lonely without you! We love you and miss you dearly at 113 Sleepy Hollow!

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for th pictures! Grreat hearing from you, and yes, Claire is right, this house is lonely with ou YOU! But she is a trooper because she is going to warch PR with me. We'll save it for you. ! LOVE YOU

1:22 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

The language thing will come. Pretty soon you will be able to talk with the best of 'em! I am so glad you got to rearrange furniture and decorate. I am certain your place is beautiful, thanks to your skills.
ps-Being a mommy is fun!

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home