Sunday, November 26, 2006

I am thankful for...

Thanksgiving

Have you really ever thought about it?

I don't think I really had.
I never totally realized that its an American holiday. Only American.

There is something about sharing your culture with other people that makes you appreciate even more what its all about.

Giving thanks.

Family.

The food.

When you think about it, Thanksgiving is really amazing.

We had about 25 really curious Italians come to celebrate Thanksgiving with us.

We had all the trimmings to do it up right--just like we would in the USA.

One massive turkey.



Too many casseroles to count.



And the most beautiful assortment of pies I have ever seen.

(Every family has their traditional foods, so when you combine 5 backgrounds--there are no compromises, you just get lots of food!)

We had to teach the Italians how to pile up their plate with everything all at once.
They didn't get to separate it into courses, uh huh, not today.
Its not really Thanksgiving unless all those casseroles get to combine on your plate.

Many of them really loved seeing the turkey.
They had seen so many movies and tv shows depicting American Thanksgiving and turkey is the common denominator-- always.

During dessert, we explained why we celebrate Thanksgiving. (history lesson, anyone?)
And then we described the tradition of going around and saying what we were thankful for.
It was so cool to really share that with them.
We had believers and non-believers, old friends and new friends, and it really felt like family.

I love them all so much!

So imagine yourself in an apartment that overlooks the street leading to the Duomo,
getting so excited to eat some authentic American food,
trying desperately to communicate in Italian,
and loving that you are in Florence.
Oh, and obviously, so thrilled to be with me!!

So, come on, grab your plate, I want to introduce you to my friends!



This is Lea Anne, Maria Giovanna, Paola and me.
They are in our English conversation class and we have so much fun with them!
Two whole hours in English!! We love it and they are amazing at it!!



This is Andrea and Marina! They have been dating for 15 years.
Yea, beat that.
Andrea is a fireman in Arezzo and Marina is almost done with her Architecture degree.



I want you to meet Maria Cecilia (our Italian intern), my roommate Katie, and one super sweet girl named Palma.
Palma became a Christian this summer and is now going through follow up with Lea Anne and Katie.
She practically shared her testimony during our "I am thankful for" time.
Real life change behind those cute glasses!
Oh, and Palma is probably not even 5 foot. Super cute.



This is Pier Francesco, or as us Americans call him, PF.
He is really talented on the guitar and he performed a song he wrote for all of us at the party.
He is passionate, loud, and searching very hard for truth.
We love him at Bible Study, he's our wild card. Always suprising!



For those of you who got to see the documentary from last year, you might remember Matteo. This is his girlfriend Ilaria.
She taught me how to make tiramisu when I was here before.
They are both so fun, love American culture, and are going to take me shopping soon!



This is Daniella, Regina and Nico.
Katie and I met Nico at the Architecture faculty.
Actually, he introduced himself to us.
He claims we looked lost. Ha, never!
He's a very outgoing freshman from Sardinia and loves sentences that call for the use of "awesome," "rad," or any other American slang phrase.

Nico is also the one that gave me the hardest time after my first major language blunder.

I made a beautiful chess pie for the dessert table.
And Cecilia was describing all the pies that we had for the Italians.

I had told her that mine had butter, sugar and eggs in it. (yummy.)
So she said that and then in front of everyone asked what it was called.

I proudly announced that it was called Chess pie.

All the Italians gasped and made a strange face.
Cecilia just started to laugh.

Knowing that I was just walking into it, I asked,
"What? What's the problem?"

Nico had no problem explaining to me and to everyone that
"chess" is slang for toilet.

Who knew?

I made toilet pie.

And then announced it to everyone.

But they ate it!
And they liked it!

So even though I won't be living that one down anytime soon,
at least I felt somewhat vindicated.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I see a lot of people that are going to miss the Agape Italia team while you are temporarily back in the States. Maybe that's the reason for all of this. And Sarah you're looking very Italian, fashionwise.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love putting faces with names. You look amazing and can't wait to see you in about a week. You can make the "toilet pie" for Christmas! Love from your "biggest fan"

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, I love your friends (and your parents)! Matteo is my boy, for sure. You're so cool Sarah, and I'm thankful for YOU.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah Sue... what black boots do you have on?!! LOVE THEM. You and your chess pie.... who knew! Miss you and can not wait to see you in just a few weeks! Love you!!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

those would be....drum roll please...payless.

but everyone thinks they are Italian. do i know how to shop or what?

9:34 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

sarah!!!!!!!!!! your friends are fun! i would totally eat your toilet pie... any day. i hope you have fun back at home! i'm gonna miss you all! happy holidays! :)

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home