Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Spanish Fling



I like to stay pretty loyal to Italy when debates about places to travel come up.
I boast in the food, the history, the art, the people...you name it, I think Italy beats the socks off of most other countries.
But, I've had a lapse in the past week. My loyalty has lagged.

I now have to admit, that I heart Spain.
ALOT.

From Barthelona* down to the Costa del Sol--I was pretty enamored.
Maybe it was just the vacation vibes that had me hooked, but I'm pretty sure there were legitimate "perfect moments" sprinkled throughout my time in the land of tapas.

We went for our mid-year conference in Nerja, but we managed to tack on a weekend girls trip to Barcelona.
Both were so fun and just what we needed after a blah winter.

We hit up Barcelona as any good tourist should: with absolutely no plan.
Not even a hint of a plan really.
So we wandered and pointed out old things to each other and then read the Rick Steve's book that our lovely hotel provided at the end of our days.
We basked in the Spanish sun in Gaudi's parks, saw Picasso's museum, and hit the tapas bars for dinner at 9pm.
But, as all good girl trips go, its not the things you are supposed to do that are fun, its the unexpected that ends up being hilarious.

Our hotel room of ALL pink (beds, walls, fans, pipes, dressers) was a big hit.

Serious emo pictures taken all over the city, of course.

Watching old people burst into organized dances--hilarious and adorable.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books



And those moments of genuine Barthelona love. (usually accompanied with song.)


Then it was off to the conference.
We had all of the Stinters and some ICS from Western Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.
It was so fun to have everyone back together--I always love a party!

And I mean, time with the Lord is pretty wonderful when you are looking out on this:

Such a refreshing week with great teaching and great people and great scenery.
Unfortunately, I didn't take a ton of pictures cuz I was just so busy laughing and hanging out with people I love.
We did go to Granada (Katie, I finally made it to your city!) on a day off and I went to the Alambra.
I had never even heard of it before (apparently its really important or well known or something) and let me just say that I have a new obsession with tile and reflecting pools.
Look at this:


I love it. And some day I'm gonna copy it.
The mosaics, not the swanky water thing.

So, yeah, I like Spain.
Italy isn't offended though. She knows her place in my heart.
Plus, I've had enough huevos in one week to say that Italy still wins hands down in the food category.

*as the true Spanish speakers that we are, we adopted the lisp.

5 Comments:

Blogger Call me Katie said...

Yay! You made it to my most favorite place!!!! Love the post, and I'm so glad you got to go to Spain!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

miss sarah

This is Britt, Bev's son. I want to invite you to come to my mom's blog to see what your donation did in the lives of the Thai orphans. Thank you very much for your support and prayers for your orphan. It was greatly appreciated! Britt

9:47 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Sar ~
Wow. It's beautiful! My dad's ancestry is (part) Spanish - you were in my motherland. Que Bueno!
Leesh

11:47 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I love Spain too! Now If I could speak Spanish as good as my un-italian skills, I would be sitting pretty :)

3:30 AM  
Blogger Claire Walker said...

How much fun! I sure hope that Italy really isn't offended! Get ready for Bunkmate Italy Extraordanaire!!!

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home