Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Lost in Translation


It has been weeks of haggling with our landlord over a promised couch.
Pleading with her.
Begging her.

"We are three people.
We have two chairs.
The floor is hard."

"You promised a couch from the beginning.
We are not being demanding, annoying tenants.
We just want to sit down."

After a month and half of this we thought we were gaining ground.
We had been kind and firm.
We had been patient.

Then, Friday, I got an email saying the couch would be delivered today.
Victory!!

We had overcome the Italian system.
We had achieved our goal.
A couch was headed to our house.
Visions of reclining and watching a movie danced in our heads.

We walked confidently throughout our day.
Heads held high.
And then we came home to this:


Two boxes and a bag of cushions.

These lovely items become...drum roll please...

Two Chairs.


Yep.

Standing in our entry way, speechless and perplexed, I started laughing.
I have no words to describe the absurdity of the situation.

I have replayed all the conversations in my head.
Reread all the email correspondence.
Couch.
Tuesday.
Delivery.


I have no idea where we went wrong.

Italy-1
Sarah-0

Somehow, I'm just off my game.
I'm gonna go sit near my new chair and contemplate this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Claire Walker said...

At least you don't have to worry about unnecessary afternoon naps on your coveted couch!

I loved talking to you yesterday and I love YOU!

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home