Sunday, February 24, 2008

Observations of Italian Fashion

After living in this country for a year and a half (wow), I think I may have forgotten how interesting and sometimes strange the fashion trends can be. Most of you know that my personal style is usually a little "eccentric" anyways, but there are things here that even I wouldn't wear. I know, shocker.

Word to the wise: Europe, and Italy especially, are always a few steps ahead of the rest of us. So you never know what may show up in Target within the year. Consider this your preview.


Hats. Very big in winter.
Here Mel and I model the two most popular styles. Poofy beret and girly army.
Old man style. Conductor's hat. Plaid jacket. Scarf. Colored pants (not black or khaki). And a cane, of course.
Pointy shoes. Nobody does high heels like Italians. My roomies and I really get into this one.
Purple=Me
Black=Kelly
Tiger Lily= Emily
Notice the skinny jeans.
Short skirts with tights and boots. Sorry the picture is blurry, but both Shandra and I are rockin this look. And yes, I have patterned tights on. These are very cool over here.
White pants on guys. Don't ask me why.
Oh and I can't forget to mention the Dolce and Gabbana belt. What are white pants without the huge DG?
Cool, colorful frames. Glasses are cool. Lisa Loeb proved that, but Italians take it up a notch with color.
My roommates pull off several looks here fabulously.
Kel's trench coat. So chic.
Emily's skinny jeans tucked into pointy boots. (This is what we like to call the "uniform.")
Work it girls.

This picture just so classic Italy to me for many reasons.
On woman: puffy coat all the way down to the ankles. Leopard print scarf. Gloves. (sidenote: it was only about 60 degrees outside).
On him: Pinstripe blazer with jeans. Monochromatic scarf. Man bag tucked under the arm. Shades--always.
Our fabulous president of the board, Donald Malcolm himself, sporting a rainbow of Italian trends. Pay attention to the orange/salmon colored pants. Those are key.
Dreads. They are everywhere.
These strange fluorescent backpacks. This one I do not understand. And they are shaped funny.
Fur lined coats. Oh yes, on guys too.
I have a minor insecurity when I go on campus because I do not own a furry coat.
And last but not least, aviators. You are not cool without them. These boys are just chillin' by the Duomo and although you can't really tell, they are wearing skinny jeans too. But, unfortunately, I think the trend of guys wearing girls jeans has already hit the US. Gag.

There you have it folks. The Spring 2008 fashion show direct from Italy. Where more is more and excess is a virtue.

(I would like to thank Katie Bearden, an embracer of tights and boots, for suggesting this post idea.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly and Clinton would be so proud of you..)
Of course, I just love seeing pictures of you...and that great Sarah style.

Love and Hugs,
mama

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and we all know that this "sarah style" will continue on, even after Italy! you know i love it, sue :)

- the little sister who is trying to catch up to your eclectic style (it is rubbing off)...

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fur-lined hoods have managed to make it all the way to the street of Philly... You're not so ahead as you thought, Europe.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

once again,you and Laura probably got a big LOL about "Kelly", you know I meant Stacy...trying to hard to match your sense of humor:)

and yes, Laura you are pulling off the Sarah style quite nicely...

mama

5:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

mom, as long as you caught your own mistake all is well. and i applaud your what not to wear reference. i loved it. wrong name and all.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Claire Walker said...

Joe warned me that I better not catch the Italian fashion bug!

Do you think I have to worry?

11:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

what's he so afraid of??

claire in high heels is a sight to behold.

tell him he doesn't know what he's missing....

5:06 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

dude...if you don't have a furry coat, get a puffy jacket and I think the italians will embrace you and your style haha...

:)

and I love the rest of your wardrobe!

3:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sarah, i love those tights you were wearing!! so cute!!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home