Wednesday, January 10, 2007

In my spare time...

Visas stink. I have no good news to share.
But my blog was crying for an update.
Seriously.
That picture of a passport was sad looking.

So, since I have nothing to do, I've been trying to be productive.
I wrote this article about Italy for Crusade.
We'll see what happens with it.

And if nothing happens, then at least its seen the glory of the blog.
And that passport can finally hit the archive pile.


There. That's better.

Intro to Italy: through the eyes of a STINTer

One college graduation,
One summer to raise support,
One lonely plane ride to Frankfurt,
One year away from home, and
One seemingly impossible mission: to reach Italy for Christ.

This is my story. At this point in the drama, I am only half way through. Three months overseas has already had a deep affect on me. Italians have shown me true friendship. Italy has broken my heart. STINT has thrown me into the arms of Jesus.

My heart for the lost has been expanded and stretched because of my time in Italy. Sometimes the extreme growth proves to be painful. To love a people so much, and to long for them to know Christ, but day in and day out to have them reject you and your God, is emotionally brutal. Most days even the gelato can’t mask the hurt.

Italians are some of my most loyal friends. Calculating time and distance from the first time I met them on summer project two years ago, and adding in the language barrier, they have kept in touch with me better than almost all my American friends.

Italians understand relationships. That’s why “religion” does not interest them. They know that the real meat in life comes from sharing it with others. Laughing and talking over a huge dinner that lasts for hours. Those are the moments when you are honest. Italians would make the best evangelists. Spending time with people, really loving them for who they are, and building trust comes naturally to them. Vera amicizia (true friendship) is what they have given me. Despite the language barrier and my ignorance of their rich history. They have accepted me. I have experienced Christ in a fresh way through my non-believing friends. It is this passion for relationships, this grasp on heart to heart communication that can bring me to tears. How sweet their faith would be if they would allow the most loyal Friend to bring Truth into their lives!

So I press on. Is it easy? No. Is it worth it? Oh, yes. A million times yes.

I would never go back to my pre-expanded heart. The pain over these souls is raw and real. But, these are my friends, and they deserve to have the Truth uncovered, they deserve this year, they deserve my aching heart.

As a matter of fact, so does the Lord. He never promised this adventure would be easy. Italy is His, and His heart breaks over these sheep without a Shepherd, then I want mine to as well.

One lost nation,
One group of STINTers,
One huge God who is capable of the impossible.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really thats a very nice photo and a wonderful blog to read ....very nice to hear about the true friendship of your Italian friends.... heart to heart communication & being passionate towards friends are really important as far as true friendship is concerned... do drop by My Blog sometime and have a glimpse of something u may like...!!!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Great article Sarah! I think your aspirations of writing have great potential! I am excited to see in the coming months, year, years what God is teaching you and how he is using you among the people of Italy. After our year in Jersey, I am still being awakened to how God used me and used Jersey for His purposes. I am sure we will be figuring things out for a long time to come!

Did I hear something about a road trip with the Walton women to Aggieland??

6:34 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

love it :)

and

love you!

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home