Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I don't want to say goodbye, I want to say "ci vediamo"



It has started.

The goodbye process.

The bane of my existence these past few days.

How do you wrap up two years of your life, say "ciao" to the most amazing people, and pack up an entire apartment in four bags?

I want to do it well.

Process the lessons.
Think through the goals and priorities that the Lord has placed in my heart for the future.
Pack neatly.
Cry at all the right moments.

But, it is impossible.
Transitions are messy.
I think and reflect and process like a turtle.

And so, my goodbyes are lame.

I can't express how much and how deeply I love these people.
Not amount of hugs or bacis will let them know how they have impacted my life.
My words fail me in this crucial moment.

Maybe in October or November I will be able to adequately explain the blessing it has been to live and work with these sweet friends.
But until then, I am a whirlwind of emotion.

Wanting one last laugh.
Fighting off inevitable tears.

Let's forget the goodbyes.
Let's just say "ci vediamo."

More "see you laters" are coming my way.
But two of the biggest have already happened.


What will Via Ricasoli be like without you, Kel, for the next two weeks?
The blue chair is going to be so lonely.


And who will I turn to with all my life questions, Italy frustrations, and sarcasm now that my Stint buddies are gone?
I miss you Turners.
And I am praying we live on the same cul-de-sac some day---just so you know.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Sarah,

I wrote you a letter today that may or may not make it to you, but it said that I love you and that I'm praying for you as you transition. I know that this is so tough.

I'm reminded over and over again that his ways are higher than ours (Is. 55:9)

love you and miss you, friend.

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has come to my attention that there are tplbd readers out there who fear I've been absent as of late, and it is important to me that you know this isn't the case. I've just been quiet.

On your having to say goodbyes: I do not envy you.

I too will be praying for your transition. See you in the parking lot/foyer soon!

3:56 AM  
Blogger Claire Walker said...

Check your email for a comment. Too cheezy to post to the world!

I love you.
C

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah -

come back to TX! I left a message on your parents' answering machine asking about you. If u need a friend while you are transitioning, I'm HERE!

Leesh

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home