Monday, June 16, 2008

My Fake Birthday



Growing up, a summer birthday was awesome.
Pool party every year. Water balloon games. Diving board competitions.
When I was little, cake and chlorine were the best combo I could think of.

Unfortunately, as you get older, summer birthdays just aren't that cool.
Everyone is gone. Everyone is doing their own thing.

For the past two years, I have lived in Italy and never been able to celebrate my birthday with the people that I have spent the entire year with.
The silly calendar never seems to cooperate.
So, my wonderful roommates took matters into their own hands.

We had a fabulous weekend trip to celebrate my never-while-I'm-in-Italy birthday.
Aren't they great?




We rented a car and drove to Pisa for shopping and to Viareggio for beach time.
The perfect girls' trip.

Not only did I get to do two of my favorite things on my "birthday": shop and take a nap in the sun, but I also got to navigate the Italian roads. Which in a terrifying sort of way is totally invigorating. Emily's stick-shift abilities are top notch, and the Clio stuck with us through thick and thin.




Thank you roommates for making me feel special!
So far, fake 25 is feeling pretty good.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would have been so much more entertaining for your roommates if you had tried wrestling with that standard transmission. Driving is just so Italian that way!

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Fake Birthday!

Looking forward to the real deal in the states with me!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

is that your rip curl car???

that sounds so fun!

Happy Fake Birthday!

and I agree, a good "me and a stick shift didn't get along" story would have topped off that great fake birthday!

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home