Monday, April 16, 2007

Sarah’s Guide to Southern Italy



I have certainly clocked some mileage this week.
And taken more modes of public transportation than I care to recount.
But, in the end, it was all worth it.

Our little crew of four set out for Amalfi on Thursday morning.
The Turners, Ryan’s friend Ryan, and myself were under the impression that we would be soaking up the sun in a mere 4 hours.
We were stoked.

We were sadly mistaken.
Our trip ended up taking about 7 hours.
But it was adventure-filled, so we were entertained.

After a euro-star to Naples, we got on a ghetto above-ground metro thing to Sorrento, and then boarded a bus for the most insane ride of all time.
I don’t know who was crazy enough to make the roads along the Amalfi coast, but I bet you a round of Limoncello that they never meant for a greyhound to go free-wheeling around these hairpin turns.
Between my nausea and gasps of fear, I managed to snap this picture of Franco, our rock-star of a bus driver.

Not only did he think it was hilarious that I would grab onto anything around me when I saw my life flash before my eyes, but he had no problem driving the bus monstrosity with one hand as he wedged between cliffs, walls, cars, and people.
Here are the two Ryans, smiling because they can’t see off the edge of the cliff from Lea Anne’s window.


Our hotel was perfect and Lea Anne and I easily spotted where we would spend the entire next day.


Amalfi really is so cute and it was the perfect spot to soak up some sun, mentally rest, and spiritually recharge.
It was also a great place to enjoy the culture of the South of Italy.
The South is famous for ginormous lemons.
My roommates had requested a large lemon for our apartment.

But after seeing them, I was greatly disturbed and just couldn’t bring myself to pack that freak show in my backpack.
Sorry, girls.

During the day, Lea Anne and I laid out and had a really yummy lunch of salmon pizza.
Trust me—it was great!

The boys were not exactly into the laying-out scene so they rented a boat and drove to Positano.

I know you can’t tell, but that little speck on the water is them.

This is what the boys and the boat looked like up close.

They were gracious enough to come pick us up in the harbor and take us to see some scenery along the coast.

Beautiful!

Even though we only had one full day in Amalfi, it was perfect.
I highly recommend this adorable, relaxed, rustic beach town.
If only the travel time was a little shorter…

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I could use a few of those lemons myself. Really glad you had the chance to go south and check it out.

Great pictures!
Love ya

4:49 PM  
Blogger Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

What a storied life God has given you. I've been to Parma, Salerno, Reggio-Emilia TWICE...it's the beginning of the old Roman Road and stayed at someone's house--a castle over 300 years old. OHHH! You've done an awesome job chronicling what your eyes envision & heart holds. And I believe your heart holds more of your precious God for Psalm 18:35 says He is stooping down over Italy to where you are today Sarah to make you know your significance. 18:19 says He has brought you to this spacious place in your life and He is rescuing you and He delights in you Sarah Vierling!!

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me see....... Northern Italy..... Southern italy.... where did i go wrong?
maybe a retired school teacher and her tagalong can have a guided tour someday !!!
We are still waiting for the eagle to land...
Zack

5:32 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You're hott and I miss you!

1:31 AM  
Blogger Claire Walker said...

Do I get to do all of that when I come to visit you?!?!

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you better believe it.

all this and more--for you bunkmate.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I like the picture of me asleep on the "spray paint express" back to Naples! Hope you're doing well.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home