Friday, April 27, 2007

Life and Knitting



So many changes have taken place in my life in the span of one year that I sometimes have trouble taking it all in.
It is often hard to feel really settled here in Italy.
I know that it is temporary and I am constatly battling the cultural differences that tend to chip away at my well-ingrained perspective of how the world should run.

I had to find sanity somewhere.
From spring of senior year at A&M through this year in Italy, one thing has remained constant.

Knitting.

That's right.
And I stand proudly by my grandma-like hobby.

I may have moved from every comfort of home: family, friends, Tex-Mex...
But, knitting is a worldwide phenomenon.

After a lengthy search in the fall for someone who could continue to teach me how to create something out of a ball of yarn and two sticks, my hobby was restored to it's rightful place in my life.

Daniela has been a huge blessing to me this year--and I doubt she even knows it.
She is my refuge from the city, my quiet place to practice Italian, and make a fool of myself as I make mistake after mistake.

Currently, my project is still in process.
I started working on a sweater with Daniela around the end of October.
At this point, I will be displaying my handiwork when I am 40.
I really hope sweaters are still stylish in 2024.



But, much like other things in life, it's the journey that counts, right?
And I love having an excuse to go see Daniela and the other ladies that knit with her.

We're a very multi-generational, international little family.
I admire their work, they laugh at me, and often they give me candy.
I feel like that little girl in the Worhter's butterscotch commercials getting candy from her grandpa.

Knitting has not only supplied me with a creative outlet, but I have caught glimpses of culture thorugh my time there.
Daniela normally charges for each lesson, but I started helping her with translation for her website and she said we were even.
I haven't done any translating this semester and she refuses to let me pay.
Once you are friends, all is taken care of, it's about the relationship now, not the money.
It may take longer to make a friend in Italy, but once they trust you, they respond with extreme loyalty.

I have learned so much from living overseas this year.
I have learned some of the things that make me tick: creativity and friendships.

Knitting and Daniela makes me feel like I really live here.

But, I think next time I'll make a hat.
Surely that will be finished before I really am a grandma.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I would like to dedicate this post to Mrs. Amanda Florence.
My original knitting instructor.
My inspiration.

Just wait for the store we are going to open together. We're gonna make knitting cool.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Hendrick Family said...

I love you and your needles! Both make me laugh!!!

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We know you can not teach me Italian, but knitting is a possibility!!!

Glad we got to meet Daneila when we were there.
Know she is a bright spot in your week.

Love UUUUUUUUUUU !!!!!!!!

5:23 AM  
Blogger Call me Katie said...

This is my favorite post so far. Thanks for letting me start the sweater with you, have grace when I quit, but most importantly sharing your heart with us through this love of yours. I will never be able to look at knitting stuff without thinking of you. Love you!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this post.

It makes me miss you more.

Love you.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Claire Walker said...

Can I put in the first order for you and Amanda's knitting shop?

Ok, great.

I'll take a green and brown beanie--any surprise there?

7:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know that this post has been up for a while but I loved it! And I love you. Hope you are doing good. I miss you!!

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home